This week has been an interesting one. Let’s take a walk through, shall we?
- Sunday saw me come up with an idea for A Demon in the Desert that adds a nice new layer to the World. That idea is included in the previous post.
- Tuesday saw my facebook likes jump. That in itself isn’t so strange considering there are two or three social media threads on goodreads. The big event was Stan Nicholls both liking my page and even commenting on a post. For those who don’t know, Stan Nicholls is the first name that comes up if you search “orcs” on Amazon. Back around 99/2000, he put out a trilogy about a band of Orcs and their evil Queen. I still haven’t read them yet but even still, that’s one hell of an ego boost.
- Tuesday also marked one year since I started writing Demon, which started off as a half-formed idea built entirely around the concept of Grimluk after talking with a friend one night about an idea I was having that was overshadowing the Orc-swashbuckler story I had tentatively begun. I may eventually go back to that.
- Wednesday saw my likes shoot up some more and there have been silly twitter shenanigans all week.
- Yesterday only really has personal news in two areas. The first is that a doctor visit got my lovely partner some meds she was in need of. Which puts my mind more at ease in the “stress of life” arena. The second was that I weighed myself while there and over the past year and a half, I have lost a total of 83 pounds. That is its own story and I may post about it at some point but the ultimate point of it is that I lost the weight because I righted something else wrong with my health. I’m still a fat guy but most of my fat was a symptom, not a cause.
- Overall, while I didn’t get as much work done this week as I’d have liked, I still got work done and I got my manuscript back up over the 38K word mark. I suspect I’ll end up somewhere between 50K and 70K total, which does make me feel good but the only real goal for word count is 40K as that’s the minimum viewed for most of the awards. I’m still making good progress.
I had semi-planned on doing a Throwback Thursday post yesterday and then thought I’d do a Follow Friday today but I will do those next week. I felt this was more important today. Also important, at the beginning of March, I’ll be posting some snippets of the book. If there’s anything you’d like to see that’s not in the first chapter, which is up for your viewing pleasure in my Works section, give me a shout. I’ve had a request for a fight scene and I’ll be happy to post one. Anything else is a welcome suggestion.
That’s all for now, folks. Remember, Orcs are friends, not cannon fodder.